Welcome to the McKenzie County Building Department. The Building Department provides plan checking, permitting, and inspection services for new construction, additions, remodels, alterations, and demolitions. Please contact us with any questions you have regarding a permit application, permit status, inspection requirements, and status of an inspection, building code questions, or building complaints. A permit is required for all new construction projects within the jurisdiction of McKenzie County after July 9, 2012.
What Are The Current Codes?
CURRENT CODES ADOPTED BY McKENZIE COUNTY AND THE STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA:
- Click on 'State Building Codes' link at the bottom of the webpage.
- Scroll down to 'North Dakota' and click on the link that pertains to your specific project.
• 2012 International Building Code
• 2012 International Residential Code
• 2012 International Mechanical Code
• 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
Note: Plumbing and electrical codes are inspected and enforced by the State of North Dakota plumbing and electrical boards.
What Are the Office Hours of the Building Department?
Owners and Contractors may apply for permits at the McKenzie County Courthouse Building, 201 5th Street NW Watford City, ND 58854 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday.
Zoning permits may be found online at: http://county.mckenziecounty.net/DepartmentsDisplay/Planning-Zoning
What Are the Required Design Criteria?
• Frost Depth – 48”
• Elevation – ±2400’
• Roof Snow load – 21 psf
• Ground Snow Load 30
• Ultimate Design Wind Speed – 115 mph, Surface Roughness C
• Seismic Design Category – A
• Air Freezing Index – 4000
• Mean Annual Temperature – 40 F
• Ice Barrier Underlayment Required – Yes
• Winter Design Temp - Neg. 21 F
GEOTECHNICAL: Calculations for footings shall include the presumptive load bearing values contained in IBC Table 1806.2. Where vertical pressure values greater than 1500 psf are used, a geotechnical report shall be provided to verify that the values are justified.
Posting Your Permit Number: After you have received your building permit, it shall be kept on the job site and available at all times for inspection by building department personnel. Additionally, your permit number should be included on a 4 foot by 8 foot sign with the project name and address.